According to reports, The R&B star was arrested last week in Chicago and hit with 18 charges in two cities, a 13-count indictment in Chicago and a five-count indictment New York. Kelly has not yet faced a judge on the New York charges.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Angel Krull said Kelly is a flight risk who could tamper with witnesses.
“The risk for obstruction is real and ongoing,” Krull told U.S. District Court Judge Harry Leinenweber, arguing that “no release conditions can mitigate these dangers.”
Leinenweber said charges against Kelly are so serious, they require a presumption of detention.
After the hearing, defense lawyer Steven Greenberg insisted his client is not a flight risk, saying he’s never missed a court date and doesn’t even hold a passport.
“Obviously we’re disappointed the judge wouldn’t let him out today,” Greenberg told reporters. “We thought we’d get him out but the judge saw it otherwise and we respect his ruling.”
The singer is being kept apart from the rest of the jail population.
“He’s in 24-a-day solitary confinement essentially, it’s the hole,” Greenberg said. “Because that’s the safest place for them to house him, it’s not his fault, no TV, no anything, no contact with other people. It’s largely inhumane. “
Kelly, already facing state sexual abuse charges in Illinois, allegedly took underage girls across state lines for sex, according to the federal indictments unsealed in New York and Chicago on Friday.
Two women who have said they are living with Kelly attended his arraignment Tuesday and sat in the front row. Azriel Clary and Joycelyn Savage have defended Kelly in the past from accusations that they have been brainwashed.
Savage and Clary sat in the front row, along with some of Kelly’s friends and family. They left the courthouse arm-in-arm and declined to answer questions from reporters.
“These young women have been traumatized and brainwashed for years. It is going to take them a while to realize how they have been victimized and what the truth really is,” lawyer Michael Avenatti, who is representing Clary’s parents, said.
It was previously reported,Carmelo Anthony vehemently denied cheating rumors after he was photographed on a yacht off the coast of France with an unidentified woman, insisting she was married and that her husband was also present.
The mystery woman who was spotted lounging on a yacht with NBA All-Star Carmelo Anthony in a series of damning paparazzi photos is believed to be model and actress Sara Smiri.
But one insider close to the situation told Page Six that she’s married and that Smiri is “not her current last name.”
The former Knicks star and the bikini-clad beauty were spotted sunbathing on a yacht this week, prompting blogs to speculate that Melo had strayed at sea from wife La La.
A source confirmed to Page Six that Smiri was the woman in the pics.
But the insider said that while she uses “Smiri” on Instagram, it’s not her married name. Multiple outlets reported that Smiri is 28 and single, despite Anthony’s releasing a video shooting down the rumors and claiming she has a family. “Y’all trying to expose somebody’s wife,” he implored. “Y’all exposing somebody’s kids. Leave that alone, man. That ain’t cool.” He’s said he was on a retreat with his business partner.
An insider added to Page Six, “She’s married. Her husband is extremely private. They have a beautiful child. Her brother was even attending” the retreat, for the shoe brand Jordan, with them.
Another source said La La continues to deal with trust issues after Carmelo allegedly fathered a child with Mia Angel Burks, who resembles Smiri.
But La La is focused on her work, despite any heartache. On Thursday, she posted video from the set of the “90210” reboot that she’s acting in.
Page Six has also exclusively learned that La La will celebrate her birthday this weekend at the Borgata Hotel in Atlantic City. She was expected to arrive on Friday and “has a bunch of rooms” booked, a source said.
Earlier today pictures of Carmelo Anthony lounging on a yacht in the with a mystery woman sparked new cheating rumors . Click Here if you missed that.
Melo reaches out to TMZ Sports and quickly shut the rumors down. And, He also calls out bloggers for the messy rumors.
“All them bloggers that’s trying to put that out there, that sh*t is not cool at all,” Anthony said. “That’s not cool at all. Let that family be they family, they married.”
“The only reason I’m addressing this is because this is affecting my family now and you got me out here looking crazy,” Anthony stated. “Usually I won’t address this, but I had to address this… Can’t let this one slide, because this sh*t ain’t cool no more.”
Back in February, Kellz was charged with 11 counts of sexual assault involving minors. Click Here if you missed the story.
Today, R. Kelly was charged with 11 additional felony counts of sexual abuse on Thursday, including some that carry a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison. The new charges against Kelly stem from the sexual abuse of Jerhonda Pace, then a minor, that allegedly took place in 2010. Pace told her story of alleged abuse in a docu-series called “Surviving R. Kelly.”
According to reports, The new charges include four counts of aggravated criminal sex assault, three counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim between the ages of 13 and 16, two counts of criminal sex assault by force and two counts of aggravated criminal sex abuse, according to court records.
Kelly is due back in court next Thursday. His attorneys said the charges are an extension of the February charges and said they would deal with them accordingly.
It was previously reported, On Wednesday, “The Chi” creator Lena Waithe broke her silence on the situation. During her statement, the acclaimed screenwriter, actress and producer focused on Boone, who claims to be a victim of Mitchell’s alleged harassment.
“I think Tiffany is a wonderful actress and an extremely brave woman. I wish her nothing but success in the future. I look forward to getting back to work on season three,” Waithe shared in a statement with The Hollywood Reporter.
Today, The Chi creator Lena Waithe spoke with Charlamagne tha God on The Breakfast Clubfor over 40 minutes over the phone about the recent fallout over former The Chi star Jason Mitchell’s misconduct allegations on set, and the criticism she’s received, as the creator and the executive producer of the show, for the handling of the situation, which led to actress Tiffany Boone leaving the show.
During the interview Lena Waithe says, “Season 1 of The Chi, that was shot maybe three years ago, before people really knew who I was. I was one of those powerless women of color in this industry…I didn’t have a whole ton of power or a lot of say. And now, I have a really strong relationship with the studio and the network, but it was just kind of how things go.
For your first thing, you are almost an employee on your own thing. I wasn’t made aware of anything going on with Tiffany until after the season had wrapped. When Tiffany and I had a conversation…I remember looking at her and I was like, ‘Yo, this is not cool, I feel awful that you had an experience on my set that was not pleasant.’ And by that point, after the season wrapped, I had a little bit more power and clout and said here’s what I’m going to do to change that. I’m going to hire a woman of color as the showrunner. The first season it was a white male, the second season was a Black woman. That was in direct reaction to what I heard about what was going on, on the show. I can already say the idea of me hearing about something and not doing anything is simply not true, because Ayanna’s hiring was a direct reflection of me trying to change the attitude and environment on that set.”
When Charlamagne directly asked Waithe whether or not she knew about Mitchell’s alleged behavior after Season 1:
“So what happened was, that was handled. There were conversations that were had, you know, HR was made aware and all the parties involved were like, this thing has been resolved enough so that both parties were willing to return to work. So I was like OK, if you wanna come back I wanna make sure that the environment is different. I made sure that when she came back to set, there was damn near a whole different crew. And also too, there were precautions that we took. The writers had extensive sexual harassment training. There was extensive sexual harassment training on the set.
And also I said I was going to put women in positions of power on the show. I think that if that’s the case, it’ll be less likely that we have issues like that again. Not to say that women are exempt from doing things, but I was like I think it’ll make it a safer environment. That was my assumption. And when we get into Season 2, things are moving smoothly. I’m hearing the set is completely different…and then I get a call from Ayanna saying things are persisting in that area. She said to me, you can’t reach out to anybody, you have to sit tight and HR has to handle it. My biggest regret is I wish I would have not trusted anyone to do my job and just reached out to Tiffany on my own and ask what I can do to fix it. I trusted someone else to do my job and the truth is, can’t nobody do my job like me.
I’m very blunt, I’m a chick from Chicago and I don’t play. I’m not trying to throw anybody under the bus, but I wish that I could have handled the situation differently and I wish I would have done more. That’s my issue when things come out, people don’t own their s–t. I’m going to own my part in it. I know what that’s like to feel powerless. For anyone to assume that I would stand by while a woman is being mistreated…it’s just not true and not who I am. I would not let something bad happen to somebody, knowingly. I was trying to put people in positions of power to change that. But ultimately, that wasn’t the answer. I’m always the answer. Lena is the answer. That’s the biggest lesson I’ve learned in all of this.”
Watch the full clip below:
In similar news, MTV on Wednesday cut Jason Mitchell from contention at next month’s MTV Movie & TV Awards following reports of alleged misconduct by “The Chi” actor. (SOURCE)
Harvey Weinstein and his former studio have come to a tentative agreement in bankruptcy court to resolve lawsuits filed by several women who have accused him of sexual misconduct. The deal would be worth $44 million, sources told ABC News
“We now have an economic agreement in principle that is supported by the plaintiffs, the AG’s office, the defendants and all the insurers,” Adam Harris, an attorney for Weinstein, told a federal bankruptcy court in Delaware on Thursday.
The agreement, when finalized, would provide about $30 million to the plaintiffs, which includes not only those who have sued over sexual misconduct, but also former employees of the now-defunct Weinstein Company. The company filed for bankruptcy in March 2018. The company was purchased by Lantern Capital in May 2018 and renamed Lantern Entertainment.
The other $14 million would be for legal fees accrued by Weinstein’s associates also named in lawsuits.
The money would come from the studio’s insurance, not Weinstein personally.
He is still facing a criminal trial in New York with two women accusing him of rape and sexual assault. The case is set to begin on Sept. 9, and will last about a month, according to attorneys.